<< The piece below was actually a comment on this post about lawyer and eco-activist Ms Polly Higgins by the redoubtable “Jimbo” but it was so good I decided I had to re-post it here. Enjoy! >>
Her website, Trees Have Rights, lists some examples of Ecocide:
* the threatened existence of the low lying Maldives due to rising sea levels;
* the shrinking of the Greenland ice sheet;
* the melting of the Himalayan Glaciers;
* the pacific gyre, the ‘island of garbage twice the size of Texas’, slowly spinning in the ocean.
Let’s deal with her claims one by one.
New Scientist – June 2010
“For years, people have warned that the smallest nations on the planet – island states that barely rise out of the ocean – face being wiped off the map by rising sea levels. Now the first analysis of the data broadly suggests the opposite: most have remained stable over the last 60 years, while some have even grown….During that time, local sea levels have risen by 120 millimetres, or 2 millimetres per year on…
The dynamic response of reef islands to sea-level rise
Results contradict existing paradigms of island response and have significant implications for the consideration of island stability under ongoing sea-level rise in the central Pacific. First, islands are geomorphologically persistent featureson atoll reef platforms and can increase in island area despite sea-level change.
Solomon Star– March 5, 2009
“When the sea rises, the atoll rises with it, and when the sea falls, they fall as well.
The following is an open letter to the president of the Maldives written in 2010 by Dr. Nils-Axel Mörner. His main points were:
“Let me summarize a few facts.
(1) In the last 2000 years, sea level has oscillated with 5 peaks reaching 0.6 to 1.2 m above the present sea level.
(2) From 1790 to 1970 sea level was about 20 cm higher than today
(3) In the 1970s, sea level fell by about 20 cm to its present level
(4) Sea level has remained stable for the last 30 years, implying that there are no traces of any alarming on-going sea level rise.
(5) Therefore, we are able to free the Maldives (and the rest of low-lying coasts and island around the globe) from the condemnation of becoming flooded in the near future.”
GREENLAND ICE SHEET:
“…glaciologists reported at the American Geophysical Union meeting that Greenland ice’s Armageddon has come to an end.” [January 2009]
American Geophysical Union
“Waters from warmer latitudes — or subtropical waters — are reaching Greenland’s glaciers, driving melting…”
“…the rate of warming in 1920–1930 was about 50% higher than that in 1995–2005.”
Petr Chylek et. al.
Glaciers in northern hemisphere partly melting due to soot.
Soot could equal up to 60 percent of the current global warming effect of carbon dioxide
Are all Himalayan glaciers melting?
Himalayan glaciers ‘melting’ due as much to soot and dust as CO2
Oceanic “garbage patch” not nearly as big as portrayed in media
via Oregon State University
Tyrannical laws to “solve” a non-existent problem.